Thursday, October 28, 2010

Europe

I've gone to Europe twice.  The first time was in 2007 for 2 and half weeks.  On that trip, I went to Italy, Greece, and Turkey.  The other Europe trip was this past summer.  May of 2010 I went to England, Paris, and Spain with an unexpected overnight in Amsterdam (thanks, volcanic ash!)

Unfortunately, during trip numero 2, I was sick pretty much the entire trip.  Not just a cold.  I had a full blown fever, aches, and a terrible sore throat nearly the entire time from start until finish.  It was HORRIBLE.  But I was in Europe and germs be damned!  I was going to experience as much as I could before collapsing in bed each night in a fit of coughs and sneezes.  It was absolutely awful!  Here I was surrounded by beautiful art and gorgeous people and exquisite food and culture and I wanted to DIE, basically.  My poor friend Michael also probably wanted to kill me by the end of the trip. 

But I digress.

I think it's really important for people to travel, particularly overseas.  It truly is a life-changing experience to surround yourself with true history and culture and amazing food.  It changes you, for the better.  Where is true culture in America these days?  Yes, it exists but you really have to seek it out.  There's not much of it here in Austin.  In America, one must often have to seek out a beautiful meal or an exquisite experience.  In Europe, it's ALL beautiful and exquisite all the time!  It falls into your lap without you seeking it out.  Even the simple little things are just...amazing.  Fresh mozzerella atop the most perfect slice of pizza ever in Rome, a warm caramel crepe garnished with fresh strawberries in Paris, a simple cup of hot chocolate in Barcelona.  These simple things are f'ing fantastic when consumed in Europe.

I live in Texas.  Culture here is bbq.  We are lacking culture.  I mean, fine dining in Texas for most is...


Ugh.
I mean, I am lucky enough to at least live in Austin...but still.  Hopefully I can at least move to California one of these days.

Anyway...It's going to take me awhile to culinarily (ha, is that a word?) summarize these two trips properly.  Instead, here's a few food pics I took of Europe.  Mike took way more pics because I was sick, sick, sick.  I'll have to try to get some of them from him so you can see the tapas and the pizzas and the crepes and the...ok fine, I'll stfu now.


                                                                    Gelato! mmmmm

                                                                Butcher shop en Barcelona

                                                          La Rambla - market en Barcelona
                                                              

winery en Barcelona

2 comments:

  1. Gonna have to disagree about Texas. There is TONS of culture here if you look for it. I know you hate Houston, but there isn't a city in Texas more known for its diversity of food more than Houston. It's one of the most culturally diverse cities in the nation and by FAR the most culturally diverse in Texas. Of course, the weather makes it a complete Hell Hole and people tend to pre-judge it because of that. I would say the food culture in Austin is WAY more tied to BBQ than it is in Houston.

    But, again - you have to seek it out. I do miss California, though... the energy... the weather... everything.

    SERIOUSLY jealous that you were in Barcelona! That's one of the tip top places for foodies in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as you know, I abhor Houston. You two shall have to take me to get some outrageous Houston vittles (assuming I ever am in town which is highly doubtful any time soon). Tyson Cole, owner of Uchi, is opening a sister restaurant there. Hmmmm.

    Barcelona was the best place in Europe I've been to for food, hands down. The tapas and the food markets are the bee's knees, fo' serious. I hope to upload some more pics when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete