Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Uchi

I went to Uchi recently.  Uchi is the cat's pajamas and I don't throw that saying around lightly, ok?

Innovation - a change in the thought process for doing something, or the useful application of new inventions or discoveries.

What sets Uchi (and Uchiko) apart from the rest is INNOVATION.

Here's an analogy.  So let's say a typical restaurant (Benihana for example) is Morgan Freeman.  Uchi is Samuel L. Jackson.  Morgan Freeman is respectable, good.  Samuel L. Jackson, of course, is a badass mother you-know-what!  BAM!

Innovation, taken to a whole other level.  Combining ingredients and textures, colors, and fragrances to take the dish to a whole other level of pure amazing-ness (is that a word?)

I went to a 5 course chef's tasting here last night and I was amazed time and time again.  I ate A LOT and it would take a long time to fully describe it all so I will just go with my favorites:

My favorites: hiramasa (amberjack, golden grapes, crabapple, candied almonds, shiro dashi) aka O FACE TIMES 10!

Sakana - whole steamed loup de mer, ginger, lemongrass, cilantro, kaffir lime, and a light broth.  Melt in your mouth fish.

The okashi dessert - espelette ganache, toasted marshmello, sweet potato, candied pecan, blood orange sorbet.  OMG this dessert was so amazing it actually gave me chills.  I mean, the flavor combinations and textures again is what sets Uchi apart from the rest.

okashi dessert - espelette ganache, toasted marshmello, sweet potato, candied pecan, blood orange sorbet. aka THE CAT'S PAJAMAS!! amazing. o face times 10.
kamo - duck confit, fried chicken mushroom, chanterelle, spring onion, lemon butter reduction
sakana - whole steamed loup de mer, ginger, lemongrass, cilantro, kaffir lime
chef selected sushi. I forget what kind but it was tasty and had a citrus taste to it.
uni - sea urchin, koshi hikari, fresh yuzu, risotto atop a bed of sea salt
my favorite besides the dessert. hiramasa - amberjack, golden grapes, crabapple, candied almonds, shiro dashi, this was a party in my mouth times 10.
the menu!

See pics above and don't hate me cause ya ain't me, ok?

And look how happy we are!  I mean, it's Uchi, come on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment